Last Updated on
We do not endorse the use of anabolic steroids, but many of you do use them, which is understandable as they do offer various benefits.
The problem is that they can potentially cause numerous side effects too.
Regardless of their benefits or potential issues there is one question that always arises when steroids are being discussed, and that is how long do steroids stay in your system?
Well, the simple answer is that this time will vary from steroid to steroid.
A more complicated answer would be to say that the length of time a steroid stays in your system will depend upon its half-life, which we will now go into more detail about.
What Does the Half-Life of a Steroid Mean?
When you talk about the half-life of a steroid you are talking about the amount of time it takes for half of the steroid to be used up.
Once you know the half-life of the steroid you are using, you will then have a better idea of how long it will stay in your system.
Anabolic Steroid Half-Lives
Below is a list of some of the more popular steroids and their half-lives, as you can see the half-life will vary from steroid to steroid:
- Anadrol (Oxymetholone): 8-9 hours
- Anavar (Oxandrolone): 9 hours
- Deca-Durabolin (Nandrolone Decanoate): 15 days
- Dianabol (Methandrostenolone): 4.5-6 hours
- Equipoise (Boldenone Undecylenate): 14 days
- Halotestin (Fluoxymesterone): 9.5 hours
- Masteron (Drostanolone Propionate): 4.5 days
- Nandrolone Phenylpropionate: 4.5 days
- Omnadren: 15-18 days (variable due to the mixture of four different ester types)
- Parabolan (Trenbolone Hexahydrobenzylcarbonate): 14 days
- Primobolan, oral (Methenolone Acetate): 2-3 days
- Primobolan, injectable (Methenolone Enanthate): 7-10 days
- Sustanon 250: 15-18 days (variable due to the mixture of four different ester types)
- Testosterone Cypionate: 10-12 days
- Testosterone Enanthate: 7-10 days
- Testosterone Propionate: 4.5 days
- Testosterone Suspension: 2-4 hours (some reports as long as 39 hours)
- Trenbolone Acetate: 3 days
- Turinabol (4-chlorodehydromethyltestosterone): 16 hours
- Winstrol, oral (Stanozolol): 9 hours
- Winstrol, injectable (Stanozolol): 24 hours
Sometimes other supplements will be tested for during a steroid test, the following are often used during a steroid cycle or afterwards as part of PCT (Post-Cycle Therapy):
- Arimidex: 4-6 hours
- Clomid: 8-12 hours
- HCG: 64 hours
- Nolvadex: Less than 24 hours
- Clenbuterol: As long as 68 hours
Half-Life vs Detection Times
While the half-life as discussed already is the length of time taken to use half of the steroid, detection time is the length of time that is taken between when the steroid is introduced until it is completely removed from your body.
There are methods you can use to work out the detection times, but these equations are often difficult to understand.
Luckily further on in this article is a list of detection times of the most popular steroids.
What can Influence Detection Times?
There are various factors that can influence steroid detection times, here are some of them:
- The type of steroid you use – We have already discussed the half-lives of various steroids.
- The properties of the steroid – Some steroids are more easily identifiable than others in urine tests; for example Winstrol and Deca Durabolin.
- Dosage and cycles – Higher doses and longer cycles will increase detection times.
- Oral vs injectable – Typically oral steroids are metabolised faster than injectables, so will stay in your body for a shorter time period.
- The steroids ability to metabolise – Certain steroids are easier to metabolise than others, so will leave your system much faster. Trenbolone is one of the slowest to metabolise so will stay in your system much longer than most steroids.
- Fat solubility – Anabolic steroids are lipids, which make them fat soluble. This means that they are absorbed into your fat stores. Some steroids, such as Deca Durabolin can take over a year to be removed fully.
Popular Steroid Detection Times
Below is a table showing the average detection times of some of the most popular anabolic steroids, testosterone esters and supplements:
|Steroid Name||Detection Time|
|Winstrol Depot||9 Weeks|
|Masteron Enanthate||12 Weeks|
|Masteron Propionate||3 Weeks|
|Deca Durabolin||18 Months|
|Testosterone Acetate||5 Months|
|Testosterone Propionate||3 Weeks|
|Testosterone Cypionate||12 Weeks|
|Testosterone Enanthate||5 Months|
|Testosterone Suspension (No Ester)||1-2 Days|
What about HGH Detection Times?
Despite reports and rumours that state that HGH is undetectable in a steroid test this is not true.
The truth is that there are tests available that can detect HGH up to 24-36 hours after your last injection.
How to Beat Steroid Tests?
Nowadays steroid tests are incredibly sophisticated, making it difficult to beat them.
If you know the half-life and detection times of the steroid you are using then the recommended method to beating these tests is to ensure you stop using them in plenty of time to pass the test naturally.
There are also other methods that you can use, but these can be risky and uncomfortable too, here are some of them:
- Using fake urine – This method is no longer effective as tests are able to tell that the urine is not real.
- Using someone else’s urine – This particular method will only work if you are allowed privacy while being tested. If the tester is present when giving the sample then how will this work?
- Bladder loading – A method that could potentially lead to infection, which involves “loading” someone else’s urine into your bladder using a catheter.
- Drug masking agents – These wont lower steroid detection times, but are designed to stop certain steroids from appearing on tests. Certain tests are now able to detect these agents too.
Having read the article above you probably now have a better idea of how half-lives can have an impact on overall detection times.
If you have ever wondered how long steroids will stay in your system you should now have some answers, along with a few methods to help you beat a steroid test.
We do not endorse the use of steroids, but know they do have their place in the world of bodybuilding. Please remember that if you do intend on using anabolic steroids that you do so safely and do not abuse them.